Friday 13 July 2012

Day 5...

Day 5 at Brompton, tried the hypertonic saline yesterday but it was a bit of a fail :( I reacted quite bad to it- my heart rate went up, my blood pressure went down and I was very breathless for the whole day. Howeverrr, the physio said we can try different ways of getting it into my body that might make the reaction lesser, so fingers crossed one of the other ways works because I really want to find something that is going to help me stay out of hospital for longer!

Also, when you come into hosp, the docs obsess with checking your blood sugars for at least the first 48 hours. They test them the same way as with a diabetic person, a prick test to get a bit of blood before and 2 hours after meals. This is because people with CF are very likely to get 'CF related diabetes' at some point in their lives. Thankfully I don't have it yet but they keep an eye on it regularly. Anyway, it's a bit of a hassle having to do this  cs you can't snack very easily, therefore it's harder to put on weight; but as long as all the blood sugar tests come back normal for the first 48 hours then you can stop them. Typically, all of mine had come back normal so far and I had ONE left to do before I stopped them. Stupidly I had eaten loadsss of sugary food for my dinner and 2 hours after my blood sugar reading was too high (13.1). So thanks to that everyone is flapping about and I've got to carry on pricking *sighhhh*

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment