Monday, 2 June 2014

A spot of bother

If you have me on Facebook, you may have read my status yesterday about the pain I'd been getting. Basically this is what's happened...

Saturday night I was feeling a bit sick and bloated. I'd put the sickness down to the IVs I'm on. Then I started to get a bad stomach ache, which I thought might just be period pains. 2 hours later and then pain hadn't eased at all, just got worse. So the on-call doctor came to see me and prescribed some laxatives as he thought it could be trapped gas or something.

I only managed to get about 3 or 4 hours of sleep that night as I was in such agonising pain. I just couldn't get comfortable. In the morning Alex came up early and another doctor came to see me. I had an x-ray to see what was going on. Turned out my bowel was completely blocked and nothing was moving, leading to my stomach being overstretched with everything I'd eaten and drank the last day or so and being very swollen. I had about 6 laxative drinks and then got prepped for a CT scan.

As it was Sunday they didn't have any normal hospital transport so I had to get an ambulance to drive me literally to the next road. They won't let you just walk or get a wheelchair. But they gave me gas and air and it was so much fun! :D

All high from the gas and air haha

CT scan showed that the 6 laxative drinks were starting to take effect, which was a great sign. When I came back I had to have another sort of laxative. This time the poor nurse had to pour it in my actual bum! It was just a horrendous experience. Thankfully it worked and I don't think I'm going to need another one.

So a million laxatives inside me, the docs then decide to try and drain my stomach of the food, drink and any air that's in it. This was to try and make me more comfortable. They used an NG tube, which goes through my nose, down my throat and into my stomach. I'd never had one before so was nervous. I had to snort some gel which numbed my nose and throat and then once the nurses pushed the tube up I had to swallow loads of water so that it went into my stomach and not my lungs.

It went in and they attached a bag to collect anything that came out. The feeling of the tube at the back of my throat kept making me gag.

NG tube- ignore my face, I was exhausted lol

So Sunday night I had to wear a giant nappy, just incase I couldn't control myself or get to the toilet in time. I went to the loo loads, which was a good sign that everything was working. The NG tube wasn't really doing much though. The bag they attached was still empty so they took it out (YAY!)

The nappy- surprisingly comfy!

Today, Monday, I've just had another load of laxatives and an x-ray. I'm hoping that it all looks ok and that I'll be able to start eating again. I haven't eaten since Saturday night, starving!

So that's that! Pretty long ramble, but I know my family and some of my friends will want to know exactly what's happened, so now I don't have to explain it a hundred times ;)

Since being in hospital, I also started a Vlog- like a video blog/diary. It is on Youtube and I have been sharing it with my family each day. If you're interested in watching it, my channel is:

Feel free to subscribe :) I'm still kind of new to it all so bear with me haha :P I upload a new vid every day. It shows me living my life with CF, the highs and the lows; the complications and the enjoyment of doing things I want to do with my life. Hope you enjoy them.

Thank you to everyone who wished me well the last few days, it meant a lot and was lovely to read your comments! Lots of love, Jo xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment