Thursday 5 May 2016

CF Awareness Month- it's not all doom and gloom!

May is Cystic Fibrosis Awareness month. So, I feel I simply must do an obligatory blog post! The usual awareness posts I see on social media are, more often than not, slightly negative ones. It's not all doom and gloom guys. Having CF- or any other illness, disease, life challenge, has it's perks; you just have to find them! Let's see if I can think of 10...

Number 1.
We get to eat as much chocolate, crisps, ice cream, milk, angel delight, chips, pizza, take aways.... as we want. The more the better.

Number 2.
We get to skip the airport queues and get one of those buggies all the way to the plane whilst everyone else walks for miles and miles.

Number 3.
Eventually, we will be entitled to a blue badge meaning wider parking spots (great for rubbish parkers like me) and sometimes free parking.

Number 4.
We could probably sit a medical exam and do pretty well, with the knowledge we pick up over our lives. We understand medical notes and terminology.

Number 5.
We make life long friends with other CF'ers. We understand each other like no one else can and can offer advice and reassurance.

Number 6.
We have a great excuse to sleep; anytime, anywhere, for however long!

Number 7.
We have a great party trick- taking 15+ tablets in one go.

Number 8.
A nurse from Brompton once said to me that CF'ers have the strongest relationships with their partners <3 (of course this is only her opinion, but I like it all the same!)

Number 9.
I can't speak for everyone, but I feel I have a great appreciation for life because of my CF. I feel I look at things slightly differently to other people my age.

Number 10.
We're just great! OK, I couldn't think of another one haha, but 9 is pretty good :D

So yes, CF may be a pain in the arse and we'd all LOVE a cure for this disease, but let's not dwell too much on that and take any positives we can. There's always someone much worse off than yourself. May is CF awareness month, so lets make people THINK about it, TALK about it, LEARN about it <3




No comments:

Post a Comment